Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Off to the Fair


This is a poem I wrote recently for the Special Career Fair edition of ScratchPad, the TAMU Indian Graduate Students Association's newsletter.


Tearing through my silent home
Rang the alarm - "Trrrriiiinnnngggg"
I couldn't just turn over and sleep
It was a rather special morning.


No dilly-dallying or lazy walks-about-the-house
No meditative stares at the ceiling fan
Ladies and gentlemen, for, that day -
I was a woman, with a mission.


Portfolio in hand, a smile on my face
Formal clothes, tied up hair
I climbed up my heeled footwear
and off I marched to the Career Fair!


Stalls everywhere and goodies too
Smiling people all around you
Well well, it sure was a fair
but did you know, you are the ware


We moved in queues and shook hands
We nodded our heads, tried to blink less
handed resumes and spoke a lot
The motto was, "Boast not, but impress"


My legs hurt and hair became awry
Tiring it was, to move around
I was running out of resumes
but talking - that was home ground


A few disasters, and rays of hope
A keychain here and pen drive there
Comrades smiling as we crossed paths
It was, after all, not a nightmare


Maybe I had knocked on a door to my future
Though, I knew not where
I told myself "To try, I did dare"
And back I came from the Career Fair


No comments: