Thursday, June 9, 2011

Good,Bad and Ugly

Good - I am a strict officer when it comes to rules. Rules are meant to be followed, and I follow them(most of the time). Not so long ago, I had Chemical engineering lab exam at college. There was something wrong with the indicator. The batches before mine had "completed" the titration. Actually, they did not. I knew it. They knew it. The professors knew it. I was the only one to report it. The professors gave me time to consult with my friends and threw around hints that I would lose marks if I did not complete it. I repeated the entire experiment and also summarised the procedure 3 times to the grumpy professors. That was not going to change the indicator's mind. Or the professors'. A girl who could not assort to cheating even in a lab exam is not fit to be an engineer, they thought. So they decided to teach me a lesson for "wasting their time". They let me go and retained my marks with them. I let them have it. What if I did not get "S" grade? Mere paas "A" hai.

Bad - My grandmother used to adhere to the rules of "madi" until a few years ago. Nowadays her health condition has restricted her to her bed. The rule was that I could not touch her or lie down on her lap until she lighted the lamps in the pooja room at 6 in the evening. Whenever she tried to forcefeed me, scold me or when she would not let me sample the dough for "arisi appalam", I shamelessy resorted to blackmail - "Thottuduven paatima!" (I'll touch you, granny). It worked like a charm, every single time.

Ugly - I hate it when people quote rules to suit their needs.
Elephant's time
Me: Hi X, I need permission for an hour in the evening (and I quote some valid reason - refer Good).
X(My superior at work): You clock y hours of labour, and we bill the customer. So you will have to work for y hours. Who will cover for you during your absence in case some issue comes up?
Me: I will complete all my work before I leave. ABC will cover for me. You can also call me in case of an emergency. (Mind voice: Last week you said there is no raise since there is no new work coming in. Now you are talking about issues. EKSI)
After 1 hour - X could not come up with any other excuse, so:
X(My superior at work): Ok fine.
Cat's time
X(My superior at work): Soundarya, can you please work this weekend? We need to do blah blah blah...(read boring stuff)
Like I once mentioned, weekend work is tough.
Me: No, I don't think I will be able to... (The ellipsis is a powerful chat strategem for euphimism.)
X(My superior at work): Ok, can you help now, by staying back late?
My mind voice to X: Check your calender, it's Friday. Not fry-your-employee's-day.
Me: I have completed the y hours of labour that I clock, X. Will I be allowed to clock more hours? Will I be given permission to take off for the duration that I will work now?
I continue typing
X(My superior at work): No Soundarya, please carry on, we can manage it on Monday.
Me: Oh ok X, bye!

You want to talk about rules? I can talk rules, walk rules, and now I can laugh rules. Hee Hee! :P

8 comments:

bala said...

lol...The ellipsis is a powerful chat strategem for euphimism...i never thot about this :)

Soundarya said...

Neither did I, until I wrote it :)

radha said...

ha ha, Superrru... Good, bad, the Ugly turning into best - Sply after I read the X's with real world characters ;) ellipsis - euphimism semma...
'thotuduven paatima' - ellarume indha kd thanatha pannirukom nu nenaikarache ore perumaya iruku, lol...

Soundarya said...

@Raddy: ellam ore KD gumbal dan. U r not alone. I am here, y to fear :P and..nandri hai :)

Mahila Jerome said...

Nice nice sound... I like tat "thotuduven paatima"... Awesome :)

Soundarya said...

Thx Mahi :)

Subhatra said...

Elephant's time, cat's time super de! :))

Soundarya said...

@Subhatra: Hey thx bah :)